Return to the Quatre Gats Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What do you think about Matricism?

Posted by
Christian Seidler
(seidler@charter.net) on
Thu, Feb 20, 03 at 23:30

Hello everyone,
I would be most delighted if any of you would take the time to look over the web site of Matricism.com It has brought me some attention in the past but I found it physically debilitating and had to give it up. Then a friend from Texas Instruments decided he would build me a robotic painting machine so I could continue my work. It was unbelievable. From there, it opened some new doors and the state of Texas has asked me to help build a brand new 4 year arts college to fuse traditional painting with the use of technology. They wanted me to design an educational process that would give our art students the training to be real professionals. To find a way to get disciplined traditional training into the public schools as young as possible. You can read about it in my site. As for Matricism, I'm looking for good critiques. I've had it studied by some of the best minds in Texas including Dr. Rick Brettell when he was the director of the Dallas Museum of Art, and considered one of the world's top historians on Pointillism so I fear not a bad review and I know there are many art perspective out there but I figure it might be very interesting to see what all of you thought about it. In the "learn" section, you can read about the efforts to build this school. I was trained in New York and with some old connections, I'm getting some of the best painters out there to staff this art school. It is strange how art can take us through life. I have never thought about teaching art and here at 52 years of age, I'm going to start. I've been living by selling my paintings since I got out of college and I would not recomend such a life to anyone. There can be few careers more stressful than that of being an artist but it is also very fun and rewarding at times. Well, one of those nights so let me say thanks for your time and I hope you find an opportunity to discover Matricism.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://www.matricism.com

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What do you think about Matricism?

I took a look at this website but I really think there is a mistake made here. Art and hard technical work, long and intensive training can be an option, why not? But I am not sure it is what art is about today. Art is a question. To life, society or other and its expression can take many forms. Art isn't about technical abilities as such. Art must be opened and the artist should refuse to narrow down himself to stict rules, media, exigences for the sake of showing off.
With kind regards.
Stephanie

o

This is true if you enjoy starving, one can follow that path unarmed and unprepared to succeed. Learning to paint anything and in any style gives you command of your own destiny. As a professional portrait painter for 30 years I did not enjoy turning all those gooses into swans, but it paid the bills, allowed me to master the power of my brush, and gave me the freedom to chase my own artistic quest. The goal of every artist I have every known about is to be unique and the best at what he or she does. My mastery of technical skills gave me the knowledge and ability to create a style of art all my own. It is like no other ever executed and it gives me great pleasure for it is a powerful language of expression. It allows me to talk to my viewer in ways no other artists ever has. Through the skills of the Masters, I have beat the Modernist at their own game.

o

Dear Sir,

You can not consider yourself to be a true artist, art is not now nor has it ever been about creating beautifull and sellable images. Art is comment on todays society from a none political or philosohpical point of view. Since the pissoir of Duchamps we know that art is an idea, more then a creation of beauty.
Even if you, as you say, are a grounded man, a man with responsabilities towards his family, that does not excuse you of presumming that your future students have to follow your path. Perhaps they want something more then 5k on their bankaccount each month. Perhaps they do not want to have a family. Perhaps they do not want to compromise their artistic views for the sake of money.
You should train them on the fact that the world has unlimited possibilities, and that there is a line between the world of fine art, and the world of decorational art. Now I have nothing against decorational art, but as a teacher you should point out not only that food has to be on the table, but that a good artist creates art that will decide the tastes of years to come. And that art is hardly painting the portret in a style the "customer" wants.
There is more to life then consuming, there is more... And some of it is called art.

Sincerly yours L.M. Sandt PhD

o

Hey I can feel an icy coldness to this e-mail...is it the subject? Undoubtedly matricism has an appeal to those of us with sofas and armoires and designers spending all those extra dollars. I find most of the paintings interesting and then boring. A lack of truth is evident, there is a lack of humanity that seems to be flattening these images. As psychedelic-drug art they may prove to be very popular. As historic examples of a new ism well that is for some other store-bought acedemic creation to decide. Good luck with the 401K!

o

Some "Isms" have to be accepted as "art" but this is a technique that gives me a new way to fuse elements of design. It is or it is not! If I use it to it's fullest capability, who knows, but as a technical way of fusing two elements of design into a cohesive statement, that is new and 2+2=4.
I have received many PHD perspectives about my work over that last 30 years. The establishment in the academic world has not given us one new contribution to painting in 40 years. What is "art" has always been a temporary definition. The established view has never seen the next wave coming and when they did, they did not recognize it. So far as I can tell, all responses come from those who are not painters and have not been able to see the core of this because of your perceived ideas of what is art and what is not. You who fancy yourselves as historians and purveyors of proper opinion should know art history better than that. What was considered art in the last century will change as it always has. Those who can, do and those who cannot, pontificate. Opinions are a dime a dozen and the last 40 years of painting history tells us that the academic view has nothing left to offer the future world of painting. If we listen to past views and follow past perspectives, the future will be lost.
Have a good one!

o

Art is an act! Art is the process of putting things together like they have never been done before. When you repeat your creation, then you are doing your craft. I have told students the greatest American Artist was Thomas Edison. Think about it. Everyone has an opinion on what is art, they are a dime a dozen and if you follow the established view, you will be lost in the masses. People have said that Pollock's work was not art at one time, Rockwell was always held in contempt by the self established art deans, called an illustrator. But he gave us some wonderful art and it will be in museums forever.

o

Well, Edison denied, as do most historians, the contributions of Nikola Tesla. Think about that. A man who created purely to create. Not for some profit or bottom line. Sure he was a strange being, that is what helped his creative process. I am an outsider to the art world. Self-taught. The rules of acedamia are obscure and ugly. It seems like Matricism has a hold on technique but loses feeling. That is not a schooled critique. I know we are all a part of our experience and we can all build-up or tear down one another. I offer my opinion. I believed that was what you asked. It just seems a little too calculated, and too irrelevant. Somewhat like psychedelic black-light posters from the early 1970's. Good luck!

o

No inventor invents for money! Inventors invent because their brains and souls drive them to it. An idiot knows that. Just like mine drives me to paint. If I want to paint every day I best sell some of the damn things to keep momma happy and then when I get the time, I paint for me alone. Yes they are very intense in color saturation because they were executed with knives and the paint is a 1/4 inch thick or more. They draw the eye so fast that dealers are keeping them away from their other works, they hurt them. As for "calculated, the visions of the finished works come to me complete, from where who knows, but if you would learn to "read" Matricism you would find in my best works, an entire story told in the elements of design. Until you can understand Matricism, all you see is a visual image that you subjectively decide you like or dislike. There is more to the educated eye. Thats ok, the public does it all the time. But if you are going to intelligently try to understand something, you have to understand the components that create it and then judge its success at meeting the goals it attempted to achieve. I've been looking for educated criticism, someone who understand neutrality of tone, harmonic frequencies of color, or the basic components of a color decision even. Ill bet my bottom dollar our PHD above cannot name the 3 basic components of a color decision. Calculated they are! So much so the elements of design can get so complex that the invention of silicone memory is a blessing. It seems everyone here loves the "happy accident" school of painting and anything extremely intricate or thought out is just wrong.
Cool with me, the more people follow such perspectives, the more unique I am and after all, that is what historys analysis looks for. As an artist, I have tried my best to follow the moral path of an artist. I just drew the line at walking away from my family and running away to Tahiti so I chose you use my ability to support them and put my own artistic quest to the side for my free time. You are all so against money but you all go yes sir to someone during the day to bring home your bacon. You all have to punch someones clock. I do not! I create value with my own two hands and by the way these things sell between 15 and 25 thousand for a 36 x 48.
If you think people spend that kind of money for just a pretty picture and dont learn something about what they are collecting, you do not know the art world.
Now keep them coming.

Christian

o

Christian, odium is very important component of admission.
Youre doing the right thing.
Please, keep it up.
Alexei

Here is a link that might be useful: www.artpapa.com

o

Unfortunately you know nothing of Tesla and state it with the absolute authority of an Art major! Gloss over what you do not know, make a pompous statement, and hope no one notices. Hopefully Matricism will make an appearance in the Detroit area and I will be able to see it 'live' Cheer up old capitalist!

o

Christian, its difficult to evaluate your painting-machines 3D-effects via a web-site.

Your imagery ( " The Sensualities " for example ) , I find boring and prissy.

What really puzzles me is, if painting has become so boring to you, why dont you try to find the joy in painting again, instead of abandoning your brushes and colours.

o

Boring and prissy is a subjective opinion. You waist your time writing. Am I bored, I'm having the time of my life. I'm working with some of the finest scientist on the planet, IBM has offered to partner with me to evolve the technology, I have the disabled community banging to have my technology evolved for different handicaps, I have historians coming in from New York, I have the state of Texas asking me to build a new 4 year arts college, sorry but I'm having a ball. No new form of art has ever came to light without those who ridicule it. History always repeats itself. As for abandoning my colors, I buy paint by the gallons. As for Sensuality, I sold them both to people who liked them, so opinions are a dime a dozen and we have admirers and detractors. John Singer Sargent said when he heard criticism of Monet, that only another artist has the knowledge to critique another artist's work. Where is yours so we can see if you have nay knowledge of painting? Or are we just another talking head with an opinion? The Machine's 3D effects? That is a stupid statement for it is a robotic painting tool and 3D effects come from design and color analysis, which comes from the artists not the machine. It seems to me you are not a painter, hence your critique has no intellectual foundation. Is there not someone in these forums that have knowledge of art of a painting at all? I fear not for most of you so called historians of art are as ignorant of the art of painting as the man on the street.

o

WOW CHRISTIAN,I reviewed you web page and that is a lot of info to absorb!

A few points:

1. You should be able to see by now that the discussion of art and economics quickly moves from art to economics.

2. Artists can make a living doing the CRAFT of art (repeat your creation/ technique). It can be done slowly by hand or quickly with technology. The benefits depend on he craft persons desired final product & market.

3. I believe it is impossible to make a living doing art. Artists working on the cutting edge of what you call (The act of putting things together like they have never been done before.) must have patronage. Most artists dont have a patron, so they become their own patron. Teacher, crafts person (see above) waiter, secretary, carpenter, etc. Other than teaching and crafts person, most jobs choices center around low income with low responsibility so as not to distract from their work. Teaching allows artists to integrate their art work into their job, and maybe receive grants to further their work. The craftsmen approach allows the artist to maintain and increase his skills.

Back to art:

The artwork seem to range from interesting and provocative to dull and uninspired. Hopefully its not just the new technology that commands these high prices.
I believe there several large scale pigmented printers available in the outdoor sign industry. Pixation.com is one I've seen. Maybe these might also be of interest to those interested in robotic painting
Im very interested in how technology is changing our view of what art is supposed to be. Your matricism work seems to be an interface of art and technology. This interests me. Maybe you could reply to the thread of Evolution of Media I posted.

o

Christian, you asked everybody to look at your web-page and to comment on it. Chill out; Im not calling you the anti-christ of art or anything.

On the other hand, your references to individuals, corporations and institutions, who support your work enthusiastically, doesnt change my experience of your site.

Good for you, that youre having a good time.

o

Dear Christian,

First of a remark, this is an open forum, please keep discussions to this platform, where all of us can reply to all comments made. The next time I do receive an e-mail on my private account I will publish it here.
Second remark, how do you mean that the academic world has nothing to offer the arts? Your own art is made possible thanks to the progress of science.
Third remark, the point I was trying to make and apparently failed to make, for which my apologizes, was that you should be more open in your approach. Art is not an exact science, therefore any opinion has a certain ammount of value. Please do not close the mind of your students but instead open them up.
As for Matricism, it is a technique to create art, as good and bad as any other, nothing more nothing less, it is what you do with it (The idea) that can make it evolve into art. Certainly we do not judge art on the technique with which it has been created.
My very last remark on this topic, as matricism is a technique, it overtime could be introduced in art academies to be given as a course, a brand new school... Seems a bit over the top.

With kind regards L. M. Sandt PhD

o

I do not like the sound of matricism sounds too much like matricide. Matrix is overused.

o

why do i post here?, i ask myself. there is something inherently lonely about becoming emotionally involved in an online forum, and i am emotionally involved in Quatre Gats as well as are the rest of you. if you scroll up, you will find a bit of yourself in each of your posts (i mean that you didn't just type some facts in response to some facts and then let the forum slip from your mind).

christian, if you are on top of the world, why do you keep coming back to this little slice of loneliness? i am not trying to be mean, i am just trying to ask you if you are really happy despite your successes.

o

I have not been involved with them before but I have known Mark Harden for some time now and I have been needling him for a while to work with an art history curriculum at the new college we are developing here in Texas. It will be founded on the technical skills of the masters and we're getting some great painters involved. I also build Matricism to beat the modernist at their own game. they set up the rule that the height of achievement is to invent a new for of expression and no one has done it in 40 years now. I have done it! some my not like it but I did and I did it with on the knowledge of the masters. Not the happy accident school of painting. That's is why academics hate it but artists have loved it. They have the knowledge to see it for what it is. Some if the remarks are good for material on why modern art theories of the past 100 years are worn out. This is a war between the traditionalist and the modernist. The debates are raving in the art institutions of New York now. It's about time for change. Anyway, this is just something interesting to do since I'm on line all the time. the studio will go streaming out to the net when I get new cameras soon. All in all, I find it interesting. As to what I think of academics, at one of our local universities on their web site they are promoting their school but the quote one of their instructor and he say, " I tried to make it as a professional artist and just couldn't do it so I joined the faculty at UT of xxxx." I'm artist and I do love to mix it up and over here I get to. On the artist site forums, I get a lot of questions and wonderful comments. Actually, that's boring.

o

The web site was down, but I saw one of Christian Seidler's portraits in a private home. Wow!
Some people say that art is supposed to make a political or social statement. Baloney. Above all, art is supposed to be beautiful. It's supposed to make you a better person by being beautiful.
There are other artifacts that people stuff in museums and call art, but they are ugly, and they pollute your mind.
There are also other artifacts that call attention to real social and political shortcomings in this world; they intend to make the world a better place, but not by portraying beauty. I don't know what to call it, but it's not art.
Anyway, what little I saw of Matricism looks good. Since it is beautiful, it will last.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Quatre Gats Forum

Instructions

• You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
  • HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
  • No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Send us mail... Film reviews... Art reviews... User forums... Info on this site...

Learn more about in-text links on this page here