Return to the Music Room Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whatever happened to jim and cathy post?

Posted by manny_in_ny (My Page) on
Thu, Dec 15, 05 at 6:42

I was digging through my 45s the other day and came across that great song by friend and lover,you know the one where the lady says..i think its so groovy now that people are finally getting together,,etc.Great song!I remember that the couple who sang the song were married to each other.You guessed it, they were jim and cathy post i believe.But when i punched their names in at google,nothing showed up about them.Too bad there is not a web site that tracks obscure artsts down.I was wondering what they were doing now and if they were infact still living.Just curious?Any sites like this around?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whatever happened to jim and cathy post?

I did a little deeper googling and found out ...

Jim has a website!

Looks like nowadays he does children's music and impersonates Mark Twain.

Jim is from Chicago and worked with Steve Goodman and John Prine - songwriting, harmony vocals, etc. In 1987 he released an album, Jim Post & Friends, on Flying Fish Records. It's been re-released.

Jim & Cathy divorced. No idea what happened to her.

I remember liking "Reach Out" a lot as a kid - my siblings and I used to imitate Cathy's warbly vibrato by slapping our throats while singing the song.

Here is a link that might be useful: Jim Post

o

Great job cecilia!Im going to check that link out now.It sounds like jim was doing some interesting things in recent years.Sounds like he and cathy did not have such a groovy time together though after all.Did you and your siblings sound as groovy as cathy did when you sang reach out?I think i going to make like austin powers and try to make use of the word groovy in all my posts from here on in!

o

Hmmm...Got some of my info mixed up - he's originally from TX but was part of the Chicago folk scene (which explains the Prine/Goodman connection).

o

MANNY & CELIA, OTHER THAN "REACH OUT" IT SOUNDS LIKE YOU'RE NOT THAT FAMILIAR WITH JIM POST AND IF YOU DIG FOLK MUSIC (FOLK ROCK?) AT ALL YOU'VE MISSED SOME GOOD MUSIC. I FIRST HEARD JIM (BEFORE I KNEW HE WAS PART OF "FRIEND & LOVER) IN 1973 ON CHICAGO'S WFMT. THEY HAVE A GREAT SHOW CALLED "THE MIDNIGHT SPECIAL. AFTER HEARING HIM ON THE RADIO I HAD TO SEE HIM PERFORM AT "THE EARL OF OLD TOWN" ON WELLS STREET IN CHICAGO. HE WAS INCREDIBLE! HIS STAGE PRESENCE AND HIS VOICE WOULD KNOCK YOU OUT. HE WAS LIVING AND RECORDING IN THE BAY AREA IN CALIFORNIA AT THE TIME. HE HAD A FEW LP'S OUT ON FANTASY RECORDS, THE BEST BEING "COLORADO EXILE". I STILL HAVE THAT ONE ALONG WITH "LOOKS GOOD TO ME". FOR SOME REASON THESE ARE NOT OFFERED ON HIS WEB SITE. BUT ONE YOU MAY BE ABLE TO FIND ON CD IS CALLED "STEVE GOODMAN & FRIENDS: GATHERING AT THE EARL OF OLD TOWN". IT WAS RELEASED BY "DRIVE ARCHIVE" OUT OF L.A. CHECK drive@earthlink.net I WAS FORTUNATE TO SEE HIM PERFORM WITH JOHN PRINE, STEVE GOODMAN AND OTHERS FOR A COUPLE OF YEARS. ALWAYS A GOOD TIME. I WAS ALSO LUCKY ENOUGH TO GET TO KNOW HIM AND PHOTOGRAPH HIM. I'VE GOT SOME VERY COOL SHOTS OF HIM PERFORMING AND JUST HANGING. HE STILL PERFORMS IN THE MID-WEST BUT I'M NOT INTO THAT MARK TWAIN / HISTORICAL / AMERICANA THING. YOU BROUGHT UP SOME GOOD MEMORIES .

o

Thanks for the information quick85,and yes i was unaware of any of his other career or artistic endeavers.Ive always loved that friend and lover 45 though.It sounds like he has a loyal bunch of fans throughout the united states.Is his ex wife still living and if so, recording these days?

o

MANNY, LIKE YOU I REALLY DUG THAT SONG WHEN IT CAME OUT IN THE SPRING OF'68. I HAD NEVER SEEN A PICTURE OF "FRIEND & LOVER" SO WHEN I SAW THIS FOLK SINGING FREAK IN MY HOME TOWN AND HEARD WHO HE WAS, IT DID SURPRISE ME. AS FAR AS CATHY GOES, I NEVER HEARD OF HER AGAIN. I HAVE A PHOTO OF JIM WITH A PRETTY GOOD LOOKING LADY OUTSIDE A CLUB BUT I HAVE NO IDEA WHO IT WAS, OR SIMPLY JUST CAN'T REMEMBER. IT WAS TAKEN IN '73/74 SO JUST MAYBE IT WAS CATHY. AS FAR AS JIM'S RECORDINGS GO, NOTHING I HAD OR STILL HAVE SOUNDS ANYTHING LIKE "REACH OUT". HE WAS BACKED ON A COUPLE OF HIS RECORDS BY A BUNCH OF PLAYERS, ONE OF THEM BEING TOM FOGARTY, JOHN'S BROTHER. I KNOW THE FOGARTY'S (CREEDANCE) HAD PROBLEMS WITH FANTASY RECORDS; I WONDER IF JIM DID ALSO AND IS THAT WHY HE IS NOT OFFERING HIS EARLY WORK ON CD. HE DOES APPEAR ON A SUNDAY MORNING TALK SHOW ON WGN RADIO IN CHICAGO AS AN INTERVIEW GUEST OCCASIONALLY. AND I DON'T KNOW HOW POPULAR HE WAS AROUND THE COUNTRY, BUT IN CHICAGO HE WAS WAY UP THERE. I'D BET THAT IF HE DECIDED TO DO JUST REGULAR SHOWS AROUND HERE IT'D BE TOUGH TO GET A SEAT. THERE ARE STILL ALOT OF FOLK FANS HERE.

o

Cathy Post, now known as Cat Conn is my grandmother. she remarried twice and has 3 children and 5 grandchildren. i am her oldest grandchild. i one day decided to look up my grandmother under her old name and found this website. i didn't know she was this popular though.

BrianaNikki12@aol.com

that's my email address.

o

briananikki12, I think it's just amazing that you found this thread! Is your grandmother still involved in music at all? How about you or anybody else in your family?

o

my grandmother isn't profesionally singing anymore. but she can't keep her mouth shut when the radio comes on. her life used to be dancing. but she had to give that up because she has arthritis very badly. and her singing voice isn't what it used to be because she's older and she just quit smoking recently. nobody in my family profesonally sings. but we all love to sing all the time. i've written a few songs myself. but i'm only 14 and i'm still learning all i can about singing from my grandmother. she's 60 now, and has pnemonia. and she raised me from birth along with my mother. so she is a big part of my life. and i love hearing all the stories of her when she was a singer.

o

I just learned that Friend & Lover consisted of a Jim Post. I was in Chicago on business during Dec1975-Mar1976 and one evening circa Jan1976, I went to a Chicago folk music club on the near north side (seems as though it was just off Wells Street...I can't recall the name...narrow old building). A performer named Jim Post was the featured entertainer. I remember he approached the stage in a unique manner: he came out of the rear restroom, slowly walking toward the stage, amidst the noise of the room, while humming a very high-pitched note. Slowly, as everyone heard his humming sound and looked around at this man, who was the source of the sound, as he was walking toward the stage, the room became quiet. I think he had a lead guitarist/harmony vocalist on stage with him that evening. I do recall him mentioning his being impressed with John Prine. Until now, I never realized before that the same entertainer that evening was a member of Friend & Lover, who sang "Reach Out Of The Darkness" in 1968. I had heard erroneously in 1968 that Friend & Lover were the same man/woman couple who sang "Hey Paula" in 1962, which is obviously incorrect. --Dan Drew

o

Chris Rea and I are still wondering whatever happened to Benny Santini?

Ric

o

Dan, I'm always glad when someone mentions Jim Post. He's
an extremly talented guy. Here's one more example of a
very good artist not getting the recognition he deserved.
He's well known in the mid-west but that never translated
to big money. Then again, how many true folk singers got
rich?

I'd venture to say that you probably caught Post at the
"Earl of Old Town" just off the corner of Wells Street &
North Avenue. He also played at "Somebody Else's Troubles"
up on Lincoln Avenue along with Steve Goodman, John Prine
and a great local artist, the late Fred Holstein.

While I sold most of my vinyl collection, I had the good sense to hold on to the Post recordings. They stiil sound
good 30 years later.

o

Quick - hopefully you made recordings (tape, CD's, MP3's) of your vinyl before selling most of it. I am still in the process of transferring my LP's onto CD. This has been going on for more than six years. Yikes!

Ric

o

Some got transferred by a friend who knew what he was doing
while early sales went on cassette. Most were replaced with
cd's. The thing that bothers me from time to time is the
artwork I lost. You live and learn.

o

I used to see Jim Post regularly at "Charlotte's Web in Rockford, IL. He was a great performer. I remember the MC there calling him "Post Hole" in a funny way. He had a great voice and really know how to involve the crowd. He had a terrific song called "Back on the Street again" and everyone would join in. Back then, he looked like a thin David Crosby of Crosby,Stills and Nash. Some great memories made there.

o

I too used to go to the Earl of Old Town and Somebody Else's Troubles. I have "Rattlesnake" on vynle. Used to have a few more but, sadly, don't know what happened to them. One very cold November night in '73 we went to the Earl to see Jim Post. Within the first hour he started playing, Steve Goodman, Bonnie Kolock and John Prine all came in. They all started playing on and off with each another and this continued well into the wee hours of the morning. Twas truly a night of great music I shal never forget!!

o

Hey guys, thanks for digging up this thread. It gave me the
incentive to dig out the two Post lps I still have, "Looks
Good To Me" and "Colorado Exile" along with "Gathering At
The Earl" with Post, the Holsteins, Steve Goodman, Ginni Clemmons and Aliotta Haynes Jeremiah. There's some awfully good music between the three.

Cubfan, we might have even been sitting right next to you.
From late 1972 thru 1976 we spent a lot of time at the Earl, Somebody Else's Troubles, Wise Fools Pub and
Amazingrace.

o

Hey Cubfan, your name wouldn't happen to be Steve Bartman,
would it?

o

I loved Jim Post's music since my early radio days on the Midnight Special in high school. We don't have to wonder any more - I just heard he's performing in Evanston Jan 20 - a Sunday - at Bill's Blues LilFest Concert -- 7:00 I think. I don't think he's been on the scene in ages. This should be really cool.

Here is a link that might be useful: concert calendar website

o

Those old jim post lps must be really hard to find,ive never seen ny of them here in the buffalo area quick85.Im sure i can find afew on ebay though.

o

Manny, I wish I had a way of putting those Post albums to cd for you, I'd do it in a moment. I know you'd enjoy them.
One cd that is available on Amazon.com is "A Gathering At
The Earl". I made mention of it above. Go to Amazon and
sample it. I have an awful lot of music, that one will
always remain one of my favorites.

o

Ill do that quick85,its good to hear from you,how have you been?

o

Jim has many of his recordings available as CD's on his web site www.jimpost.com

o

Hiya Manny, everything's jake. I've been over at Amazon
reading people slamming each others musical tastes. It
can be gruesome in the Rock & Classic Rock forums. It's quite a bit more civilized here. Plus, I've been focusing
on expanding my folk collection. My local library is a great help in that respect.

Mickeya, thanks for the heads-up on Post's site. It's been
two years since I checked in there, back when this discussion started. Then, Post was pushing his Mark Twain
and Galena territory related material. It's great to see
"Colorado Exile" and one or two others being offered. I'll
be treating myself to an early birthday present.

o

Love seeing all these about Jim Post. I was wondering if anyone has a recording of "My Ugly Little Country Girl" otherwise known as "She Had a Face Like and Oyster?" I only heard him sing it once at the Earl of Old Town probably in 1975. He did not record it, so maybe it is lost forever. He had the audience sing it in the style of Bob Dylan, which was so very funny.

o

I saw Jim last night at the Evanston Space. He definitely still has it. Wowed the crowd!

o

That's good to know -- I'm glad to hear he still puts on a great show.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Music Room Forum

Instructions

• You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
  • HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
  • No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Send us mail... Film reviews... Art reviews... User forums... Info on this site...

Learn more about in-text links on this page here