SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
lemonhead101

Review: The Secret Life of the Grown-Up Brain

lemonhead101
10 years ago

The Secret Life of the Grown-Up Brain: The Surprising Talents of the Middle-Aged Brain - Barbara Strauch

A random pick off the TBR shelves on the topic of learning/creativity type info triggered by the TEDx conference the other day, this was an enjoyable read about the myths (and truths) of the middle-aged brain. I have just turned 50 on my last birthday, and normally my age never crosses my mind. I consider chronological age to be irrelevant for the most part and an artificial limitation for some things, so I didn't expect to be so curious about turning fifty. The age (and the birthday) have, for some reason, triggered some growing and changing that I had not expected and so this has been eye-opening in many ways. (And it's not only me, it seems. From talks with friends, turning fifty does do something to you, although it varies how that manifests itself in life.)

Strauch is the medical and science editor for the NYT, and so knows how to write great journalistic stories, and this one seemed to be one of those books that one reads at just the right time.

In the U.S., aging seems to be a culturally negative thing in general and the common assumption seems to be that aging means losses of some kind: your friends/family die/move, you get stiff, you have more medical problems, it's harder to learn stuff, you forget everything and you're THAT much closer to developing dementia and/or dying. Suddenly, there are all these "Over the Hill" birthday cards (black for the oncoming funereal process), and AARP sends you a membership card and the next thing you know you'll qualify for the Senior discount at Furrs and have supper at four in the afternoon.
ïÂÂ
(I'm not saying that everyone views it like that or that that is how I approach the aging process, but it doesn't seem to be welcomed or viewed as a time to bloom, shall we say.)

Strauch's book authoritively turns all this on its head, which was fun to read and backs it up with research. The first half of the book covers the various research studies that have proven that the middle-aged brain does not die off and that forgetting what you watched on TV last night is not a sign of oncoming dementia for most people. It's a little too rosy in places for me and a little bit heavy on the cheerleading, but it's also fascinating to read about the possibility of neurogenesis (growing new brain cells) and learning to focus on the strengths of an older brain.

So yes, we can forget the reason we went to the kitchen very easily, but older brains also are much better at looking at the whole picture of something (a debate, the long-term effect of something, the overall view) and additionally, middle-aged people have been found to have better control of their emotions than people in their 20's. (Seems true in my experience for the most part.)

Some of this ability to see the bigger picture is due to having years of experience (so it's easier to see how things fit in long-term), but...

Comments (17)

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm