SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
woodnymph2_gw

Kristin Lavransdatter- discussion

woodnymph2_gw
17 years ago

I hope you will forgive me for starting this a bit early. We are getting a strong Nor'Easter here tonight and tomorrow. These often bring power outages and major flooding in our area, so I wanted to begin.

A little background: Undset herself seems an interesting admixture of differing beliefs, as possibly reflected in this trilogy: born a Lutheran, she later converted to Roman Catholicism. In the early part of the twentieth century, Unset had to work outside of the home, due to unfortunate financial circumstances. Feminists have criticized this author for advocating motherhood as the highest calling for women in her works. Somewhat of an eccentric, she lived in a house of medieval design and dressed in the medieval style, I had read....

SPOILERS AHEAD:

As some who tried to read this noted, yes, there are a lot of names. Yet, woven all together, as distinct personnages, they created a wonderful tapestry, rich in detail of that time period and place.

Questions: What did you think of the close relationship of Kristin with her father? Did you think she was spoiled?

How well did her childhood experiences prepare her for the adversities she was later to endure?

Did you like charming Erlend or remain disgusted by his behavior?

Were you surprised at how Simon seemed to grow in heroic statue as the novel progressed?

Did you admire Kristin or pity her?

For me, a lot of the wonder of this saga was the complexities of these characters, and the beautiful unfolding of the development of each one. I was thoroughly captivated, until towards the very end, when I felt the last part rather "petered out" a little. Nevertheless, I picked it right back up and began to read it a 2nd time.

I also appreciated the subtle ironies and the "mirroring" which took place in some of the repetitions of certain circumstances amongst the various generations.

I have a dominant question: Undset takes great pains to reveal two private conversations between Lavrans and Ragnfrid about their marriage and what led up to it and their emotions. Are we readers privy to who it was that Ragnfrid truly loved instead of Lavrans? Even re-reading this, I could not quite figure out if we are meant to know who this was. Does anyone know? Were you as puzzled by this mystery man as I?

Comments (108)