Return to the Reader's Paradise Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Whats the Best fiction book you ever read?

Posted by angelsmell (My Page) on
Fri, Sep 28, 07 at 16:43

I would like to know the best fiction book you ever read and why? Please include author

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Whats the Best fiction book you ever read?

Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Burns.

o

There is no way I could answer that question. I read about 70 books a year, and usually one or two ends up on my all time best list. I've been reading adult type books for 35 years or so - thats a lot of 'best books'. So I am curiuos, how does one decide what is the best book.

o

I don't know if this THE best book I've ever read, but it's one of the best. I really liked The Pillars of the Earth by Ken Follett. I really liked how he wove the story of the characters into the building of a cathedral. Great read!

o

I adore Gone With the Wind by Margaret Mitchell. It may not be the greatest of literature, but she is a story teller par excellence; and I do love a good story.

o

I'm pretty sure that with hours and hours of thought and research I could get it down to my one hundred favorite novels, but I don't think I could take it much lower.

Rosefolly

o

I'm with Cindy and Rosefolly-the question is too vague and the possibilities too numerous.

o

I'm not sure that I can really choose a "best book" ever read either. Because when I start thinking about it, then more and more books enter the competition, and then I start reading the thread, and books discussed by the rest of you (like The Pillars of the Earth ) need to be seriously considered.

I think I prefer to answer the question as if it had been worded, "If I were to ask you what is the best fiction book you ever read, which book comes to your mind first?"

It is always, for me, The Count of Monte Cristo. The language is elegant. The story captured me and wouldn't let go. And finally, it is exquistely constructed. There are no superfluous details that are there to distract the reader from the story. It all comes around at the end, there are no leftovers, and nothing seems awkwardly stuck in to make it fit.Whenever I think of it, I can remember small details as well as the main themes. And thinking of it still takes my breath away.

o

>"If I were to ask you what is the best fiction book you ever read, which book comes to your mind first?"

Far Pavillions by M.M Kaye; but then as soon as I think of it 20 other titles start crowding in for attention. But that is often the first one I think of.

o

I agree it would have to be what comes to mind first, because who could ever pick just one. Tonight what came to mind was To Kill A Mockingbird". Who knows what might pop up on another day!

o

I've touted this book forever, but for me it's always Kristin Lavransdatter. Fine writing, magnificent characterizations, a depth of understanding of the human heart that's eternal, and a terrific historical novel.

o

The best fiction book varies from day to day. Today it is Of Mice and Men.

o

Quite impossible to answer. There are at least twenty I would list.

If I must say one, then Coming Up for Air by George Orwell. Or possibly Cloud Atlas by David Mitchell. Or maybe Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Or perhaps.....

o
RP Essential Books

But that reminds me....I never finished this little project off properly....

But this is worth a read - if only to remind yourselves of what we thought were essential reads.

Here is a link that might be useful: The RP list of Essential Books

o

Thanks for saving that, martin!

o
Favorite book

My favorite book is Rovella Starr by Carol D. Mitchell. Characterization was very good in this book. Invariably the many characters were all tied to the star, Rovella. I didn't like the fact that the book was published by Publish America, and I was reluctant to read it until I read the reviews. The book was awesome. Too bad she didn't hold out for a better publisher. Anyways, this happens to be my favorite book ever.

Here is a link that might be useful: amazon.com

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Reader's Paradise Forum

Instructions

• You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
  • HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
  • No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Send us mail... Film reviews... Art reviews... User forums... Info on this site...

Learn more about in-text links on this page here