Return to the Reader's Paradise Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The Nth Annual Bookmark Exchange - The Official Thread

Posted by siobhan_1 (My Page) on
Fri, Nov 1, 13 at 10:37

All right, here we go. How many years have we done this? I still have all my bookmarks and look at them regularly. They live in a shoebox on one of my bookcases. And of course they are used constantly.

Here is how it will work. First and most important - you must have a valid email address on file with this website, Glyphs. That is the only way I can contact you. Please email me through this website and let me know you would like to participate, and I will respond. Do not post your email address here on the RP Forum because hackers will get it.

So, if you want to give and receive bookmarks, please send me, through this website, your screen name here at RP and your real name and address. This information will be shared with the other participants. All are welcome, newbies, lurkers, come one, come all. Please contact me by November 15.

Anything that can be used as a bookmark is okay. Used bus tickets, postcards, expensive gold-plated crystal-inset plates, handmade anything. Be as creative or non-creative as you wish.

We have had as many as 25 or 26 participants, but it is more normal to have somewhere in the mid-teens.

As this exchange occurs around Christmas, a holiday card is often used to send the bookmark.

So that's it! Hope to hear from you!

Siobhan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The Nth Annual Bookmark Exchange - The Official Thread

One more thing - it will help me if you post something on this thread so I can easily click on your name to email you. If you have already posted on the other thread, that is fine also.

o

Just sent you the email!

o

Me, too.

o

I haven't checked in to Reader's Paradise in so long, I really don't deserve to be on the list. But, I missed it last year and realized how much I enjoy the bookmark exchange. Count me in!

o

Phaedosia, you are most welcome! Can you put your email into the RP site so I can contact you?

o

I think I got it this time. Thought I had saved it before, but have missed the message where it needed my birthday to proceed.

o

I sent you mine earlier. :)

o

I just posted mine as well

o

I believe I sent you mine already, but if not, please count me in.

Rosefolly

o

Wow, we are up to 16 already! Everyone from last year except one (so far - early days yet) and three new folks.

o

I just sent my email.

o

I'm working on my bookmarks at my desk here, and was wondering if there was a recent Introduction thread? I checked the first couple of pages but didn't see anything...maybe it would be a good time to start one? We have some new people. I've been absent for a while but am delighted to see so many "old names" still here.

Since I'm on this bookmark roll, I decided to make some for my real life book club as well. You will be amazed when you get yours in the mail...well I hope so, this is my first real craft attempt :)

o

Could I suggest that if the bookmarks are amenable to being written on that we put our names on the back of those we mail out so that we remember who sent them to us. Last year I wrote the senders' names on the ones that I could when I received them.

o

Just sent you my info, thank you again for organizing this!

o

My information is on the way. I have been having little stirs of the holiday spirit. Perhaps this will serve to occupy me for a few weeks

o

Email sent :)

o

I'm sorry I can't take part in the bookmark exchange but I'd like to say that I like janalyn's suggestion about a thread introducing the members here. It is next to impossible to find out much about any of the people here, and sometimes one wants to know more about a person than just the content of that person's posts.

o

Please include Me! I have sent you an email as well.

Thanks for doing this again!

o

Sorry - won't be able to join in this year, but love that the event is still going on... :-) I still have all mine from the last time I took part in this...

o

All right Jwttrans - I started that intro thread, please add on :)
Carolyn, yes, I am putting my name on the ones I am making.

o

Hello Siobhan,
I thought I had responded but I cannot find my posting. Please count me in... even though I have been a bit MIA, you have been in my thoughts. I believe you have my info from last year.

PAM

o

Sorry I have been absent and have got a little behind in my duties, but I have everyone and will get this wrapped up when my work eases off a bit. Also, I have had some sign-in problems and the site has been a bit wonky for me. But all will be well in the end!

o

I responded in the beginning but don't see it here......or did I scroll over it?

I'd like to be included again this year.........already have all the bookmarks crafted, signed and ready to send !!
Yvonne

o

Just sent you my info. Looking forward to a new set of lovely bookmarks, and thinking about what I'll send this year.

o

Hi Siobhan,

Just sent you an e-mail....

Thanks, Helen

o

Hello all, and especially hello to anyone who hasn't received an email from me - don't worry, I've got you on my list. If you have emailed me or posted on either of the two threads I have included you. Sometime this weekend I will send everyone the final list of addresses. I believe we are at 17, but I left the list at work (hanging head in shame).

I haven't found a bookmark I want to send yet, can you believe it? I'd better get on the stick!

o

PAM, can you put an email on file with RP? That is the only way I can reach you. You don't have to display it - from your profile page you will be asked who can see your email address - choose no one. Then when I go to your profile page I will see 'send me an email' and I can just click on it and can email you through this site so the hackers can't get us.

o

Correction: the box is 'None' not 'no one' and also you will need to check 'allow others on this site to email me.'

o

All right! The address list has been emailed. A couple of you will receive two emails (identical). Please forgive me. The process of sending the list is laborious and a weird combination of high tech and low tech.

Twobigdogs, I sent yours to an old email addy I had. If you didn't receive it, please either send me your email address via email through this site or file your email address here at RP. You don't have to display it - you can send and receive emails without revealing your address.

If I missed anyone, I apologize profusely. Please email me and I will send it posthaste.

We ended up with 17 participants, a very good number, don't you think?

o

Well, I've made at least one horrible mistake. I'm going to post the correction here because it is a postcode and I don't think it is dangerous. Here it is:

Artiste8's postcode is K1G 0S1.

Sorry!

o

I've got mine ready to go.........I'll wait until some time in December to post them so that they will be properly holiday-ish :0)

This is such a fun exchange.

Yvonne

o

I have my bookmarks and my cards, but they are not together. Thanks for doing this for us again, Siobhan.

o

I'm working on my bookmarks right now with a cat in my lap. I will have a few left over and wanted to know if any of you who are not currently doing this bookmark exchange (Mary, Vee, etc?) would like one? I don't need anything back, just wanted to share my amazing homemade bookmarks (that is something of an oxymoron btw). If so, email me thru this site with your address.

o

Good idea Janalyn....

I also have a surfeit of bookmarks which I enjoyed making so much I couldn't stop at 17 !!

Let me know if you would like one, even though you're not officially in the exchange.
As above, email me thru this site with your address .

Yvonne

o

The first of my Christmas To Do List has been completed. I mailed all your amazing, original handcrafted bookmarks this morning. As always, when you receive them, remember it is the thought that counts. :) I would have sent them a week later but I have no faith in the efficacy of our Postal system and wanted to make sure Kath got hers before Easter. Also I am going to be really busy next week.

I am so glad that our Thanksgiving is held the second Monday of October. South of the border, y'all are celebrating on the 28th, and I feel that is much much too close to Christmas. Isn't that really late for the States, and how do you figure when it is, since it changes every year.

o

The first of my Christmas To Do List has been completed. I mailed all your amazing, original handcrafted bookmarks this morning. As always, when you receive them, remember it is the thought that counts. :)
I am so glad that our Thanksgiving is held the second Monday of October. South of the border, y'all are celebrating on the 28th, and I feel that is much much too close to Christmas. Isn't that really late for the States, and how do you figure when it is, since it changes every year.

o

sorry for the double post, the computer or this site is glitching on me...

o

I'm guessing that Tday is traditionally the last Thursday in November each year.

Was that the question?

o

Right, Yoyobon, and this year is as close to Christmas as it can get. We are committed to hosting a church dessert/gag-gift party (where everyone contributes) on Tuesday, December 10, which means I have to get the house decorated next week.

o

Carolyn....

That event struck me funny when I read it.....putting gag with dessert makes me want to bring my own pie !!

o

You'll fit right in!

o

Well, against all the odds my cards and bookmark are all addressed and ready to go. I have amazed myself! I hope you will all excuse my handwriting which is terrible. I'm going to send them next week.

o

Rouan and Rosefolly have officially launched the exchange. We are spending Thanksgiving weekend together, and on the day after the holiday (this morning) we gave each other our bookmarks. Rouan even included a card with hers. It is perhaps a bit of a cheat, because neither of us has addressed or mailed anything yet, so we will count the first we receive in the mail as the true first arrival.

Rosefolly

o

I received my first bookmark in the mail today. Janalyn, it's brilliant, thank you!

I finally purchased cards today, so mine will (I hope!) be finished and on their way shortly.

Yay!

o

I got Janalyn's, too, and it is brilliant. Thanks!

o

Just beautiful, Janalyn. I love it!

o

Well I owe Canada Post an apology...very efficient. And I am so happy you enjoyed the bookmarks, I loved making them all and thinking of each of you.

o

I received my first bookmark today. Thanks Janalyn. I love it. Beautiful and very creative! I will try to send mine soon.

o

I have Janalyn's too, a beautiful bookmark.

I will be on the lookout for cards to fit bookmarks. I do have the bookmarks ready. I found the ones I was going to send last year but misplaced, so I will send those. And I have misplaced the ones I bought for this year, so I imagine those will go out next year.

It all works out in the end.

Rosefolly

o

I received Janalyn's today too ... a memorable one! Thank you!

I still need to pick up bookmarks for one of our recent missions ... the extras were still in shipment back from the launch site when I checked before the thanksgiving holiday,

o

yoyo, very cute bookmark and the card is so true!

o

I got Yoyobon's, too. (Note to self: Must get busy on cards.)

o

Yoyobon, very cute. I definitely need my caffeine.

o

I got two today, Pam and Siobhan. You people are so clever.

o

Mine went into the mail today. So far I have received Janalyn's, Siobhan's, Yvonne's, and of course Rouan's which was hand delivered. I opened Janalyn's but decided to save the rest and open them all at the same time.

Rosefolly

o

I have received Janalyn's - thank you so much, it's lovely.
Sadly, I haven't done mine yet, so they may turn out to be New Year's bookmarks instead :(

o

I got Pam's, very nice. Love the word search. I finally finished mine and sent them out.

o

I'm pleased to say mine finally went out in the mail yesterday.

Frances, the "books to the ceiling" bookmark is great, I used to have that as a print hanging in my office. Love it!

o

Mine have been sent as well.

For those that have sent bookmarks to me, Thank you! I am saving all of them and will open the cards on Christmas.

o

This is really fun. I have received Frances', Verinicae's, and Siobhan's. Everyone is so creative.

o

I have sent mine out today. Really enjoying the exchange and all the wonderful bookmarks I've received.

o

Dropped mine off at the Post Office tonight.

o

I've been so excited to look in my mail box each day! Thanks everyone. Mine will go out on Monday. =-)

o

I'm running late this year but hope to get mine done and mailed Monday. I've received several already and am eagerly awaiting the next batch.

o

I have received many bookmarks and as I open each one it is my new favorite! They are all so nice and so much fun to open!

o

And I just finished the Word Search, thank you PAM!

o

I have received so many nice bookmarks to add to my collection.

o

I have just finished addressing my cards. They will go out in tomorrow's mail. And I also have finished the word search. That was fun, thanks PAM.

o

HO! HO! HO! Things will be getting very busy around here so I'm giving you my lengthy (what else would you expect? *grin) thank you now.

In an age where almost everything is digital, twittered, instant and easy --- almost thoughtless sometimes... thank you for helping me remember what Christmas is all about. I know something about all of you through your posts and thoughts on this forum but I have never met you in person. So we actually are digital, electronic friends but still strangers; though I would love to meet all of you in person one day.

I was lucky enough to have time this year to craft my bookmarks and enjoyed it so much I made some for each member of my real life book club too. Each of your cards has an ink and watercolor of a chickadee who happened to be at the feeder by my window while I was working on the bookmarks, so I included him too. But I made him a little more “Christmassy” by adding holly. I had Christmas music playing in the background and was humming to myself and thought how appropriate the following was:

“Then the Grinch thought of something he hadn't before! What if Christmas, he thought, doesn't come from a store. What if Christmas...perhaps...means a little bit more!”
― Dr. Seuss, How the Grinch Stole Christmas!

I haven’t sent out real Christmas cards to all my friends in several years: people just don’t seem to be doing it often anymore and if they do, they use those Christmas “card” emails you can personalize. Click, click, you are done. Sent. You read them and then delete them. But you inspired me. This year I spent some time tracking down friends’ real addresses and then personalized each card, with a watercolor like your chickadee, and then a handwritten note. I had lost touch with my old university roommate and did one for her but included a handwritten letter, pages long. Yesterday, I got a card and a handwritten letter from her as well and the years appear to have evaporated. We decided to bring back this ancient tradition of letter writing, no computer allowed, and will be writing to one another just for the joy of it. I chose a favorite photograph of my dearly missed mom who died from cancer a couple of years ago and painted it as a watercolor, with a Christmas background to send to some close relatives. Her sister called me in tears when she received it, she was so touched.

At the risk of sounding completely sappy, and I do dislike sappy novels as you know, there is a lot of joy in giving something of yourself. This is what we are all doing in this bookmark exchange. I delight in receiving your cards and bookmarks. It’s uplifting to receive them especially when they happily outnumber the ads and bills in the mailbox. Your cards have been forming part of my Christmas decorations. I have been taping them to the frame of the French doors that lead to my living room and Christmas tree, I will post a picture later.

Thank you, again, for being part of the MERRY in my Christmas this year! .

o

What a lovely post, Janalyn. Your bookmark put me to shame, and I am putting it into the envelopes of collectibles that I'm planning to take to a framer to have another set of rows of matted and framed bookmarks made. I had eight frames done several years and hung them down my stairway wall (about ten or twelve bookmarks per frame), and they created a lot of conversation. One I overheard was a friend of my 18-year-old grandson who asked if they represented one for each book I had read. GS quickly and dryly replied, "Oh, no."

We have moved to a single-story house now, and it has a long hallway leading from the living area of the house to the bedrooms. I have hung the older frames on one wall and have another nice blank wall for future use.

Thank you again for your very clever creation, and thanks to everyone else who has sent such neat and different bookmarks. It does make opening the mail much more interesting!

o

It has been fun opening the mail. I have never received so many Christmas cards. Making these bookmarks has gotten me to be creative again. I used watercolor painting to make the background, then I used Calligraphy to write the little quote. I hadn't used either in years and was surprised I still new how to write using Calligraphy.

o

THANK YOU friends!

When this bookmark exchange began three or four years ago, I bought an small wooden antique chest for my bookmarks. Each year, the collection grows. And every time I start a book, it begins with a search through the chest for the perfect bookmark.

EACH one of you has sent me lovely gifts that represent YOU. Each one of you has bookmarks in that wooden chest that are treasured and used regularly.

Thank you. Thank you one and all - for your thoughtfulness, your time, your creativity, and for being a part of my reading life.

PAM

o

I'm so sorry haven't gotten my bookmarks out to all of you yet! I just got to go back to work yesterday, after being out sick (that stupid cold turned sinus infection/bronchitis is near impossilble to get rid of!) for almost two weeks.

I promise, they will go out shortly! Thank you all for your beautiful bookmarks, and even more for the friendship they represent!

I hope you all have the best Christmas Season you've ever had!

Wolf_seeker (Helen)

o

This has been so much fun -- GOOD stuff in the mail for a change! All the bookmarks I've received have been wonderful.

And no worries if bookmarks are late, I'm delighted to look forward to having more than after-Christmas bills in the mailbox.

Merry Christmas!
Sheri

o

Thanks to everyone for all the great bookmarks !
As always it was a treat to bring in the mail and find an envelope or two from places far away :0)

Wishing you all a healthy new year filled with blessings.

Yvonne

o

I'm very sorry to say that I only posted my bookmarks off yesterday.
I have thus missed bringing you all Christmas cheer, but hope you will still enjoy getting something in the mail.
Thanks so much for all the cards and bookmarks I have received. It is so much fun to open them all, and add to my collection.

o

Don't be sorry at all, I am so excited that another bookmark is on the way! I love the exchange and am always a little sad when it is over. But that is good, it means I am not taking it for granted. Can't wait!

o

Don't be sorry. It just adds to the fun.

o

Absolutely! I'm all for presents in the mail in January.

o

Hey ......I still have my little tree up and will let it stand until I wake up one morning and say to myself " What the h*ll is that thing still doing up !?!!"

Sometimes that's March.....depends on the snowfall.
( I hear scratching of heads !!!)

Indulge me ....lol.

o

I just got yours Astrokath and don't worry, better late than never. I went to Paris too, actually I just got back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Reader's Paradise Forum

Instructions

• You must be a registered member and logged in to post messages on our forums.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review the contents and make changes.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • It is illegal to post copyrighted material without the owner's consent.
  • HTML codes are allowed in the message field only.
  • No advertising is allowed in any of the forums.
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Send us mail... Film reviews... Art reviews... User forums... Info on this site...

Learn more about in-text links on this page here