SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
martin_z

Ali Smith - How To Be Both - discussion?

martin_z
9 years ago

Hi all

I loved this book; I was delighted when it was shortlisted for the Booker and disappointed when it didn't win.

I see it's available in the US in paperback, and coming out in hardback (so will be available in libraries?) at the start of December. So, is anyone interested in a discussion, starting December 13th? Or alternatively, could I book a discussion for the New Year?

Just to remind you - here is the review I did on the Booker Shortlist post.

+++++++++++++++++

This is an interesting book. It has two parts, which are called "Eye" and "Camera". The book has had two print runs - one of them has "Eye" first, then "Camera" - the other is the other way round. I read "Eye" then "Camera" - and as a result, I may not be reading quite the same book as you might read.

I really loved this book, and I do really fancy it to win - hence, I'm going to give you a very slimmed-down not-too-much-in-the-way-of-spoilers review. It would be a great book for a discussion.

"Eye" is about an artist of the fifteenth century. "Camera" is about teenager whose mother has died in the present day. "Eye" and "Camera" have a lot in common - for example, in "Eye", the artist paints some frescoes which the teenager and the mother visit in "Camera".

Really, I don't want to say any more. There are reviews on the internet which give away more than I'm telling, but I think it's more fun to find out yourself how the connections work, and how the book's title is just perfect. The writing is beautiful, and the gimmick works really well. I loved it - go and read it !

I read "Eye" followed by "Camera". I think that "Camera" followed by "Eye" works better. But both are wonderful.

If anyone is interested, I can do a "spoiler" review which will tell you rather more about the book and the stories. There are no major spoilers, but I'll give away stuff you might prefer to find out yourself.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Anyone interested? December or January?

Comments (21)