SHOP PRODUCTS
Houzz Logo Print
kathy_tt

Best book club discussion in 2013?

kathy_t
10 years ago

I'd like to ask those who belong to book clubs, which one or two books of the last year led to your group's best discussion(s)? Here's my own answer:

1. The Midwife by Jennifer Worth - because so many women in my group were able to relate to the birthing experience on a personal level. Also, this book, which was originally published in the UK as Call the Midwife, I believe, was the basis for a popular PBS television series, which always seems to interest people. And last, it provided a view of the Docklands area of London that most of us were unfamiliar with.

2. Turn of Mind by Alice LaPlante - because it attempted to put the reader in the mind of a person with Alzheimer's disease. Of course, one can't be certain how successfully this was done, but it was quite convincing. It turned out that most members of my book club have been affected by Alzheimer's disease in a family member, neighbor, or friend's relative, which made it easy for most of us to relate to this topic. (We are all in or close to the parental caregiver stage of our lives.) Also, the book has a fascinating mystery.

Comments (11)